Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Gardening



So I got my green thumb out this weekend. Took up my usual habit of potting tomatoes and herbs in the spring, but decided to get a little creative with it, you know throw in few extra veggies. My favorite summer vegetable is zucchini. There is nothing better than fresh grilled zuk’s. But I live in an apartment and while I have a yard, it’s not one I can plant in. Not only that I have devilish attack squirrels that scavenge on any plant that is not grass. (You should see the Hastas on the side of my apartment.) So I decided to try potting zucchini and cucumber. I considered peppers and strawberries, but just thought I wouldn’t get as much produce as I am hoping for from them.
So here you have it, a little mini garden, potted for portability and small, because it’s just for me. It was a bit of an adventure, since my back deck (where there plants will live) has no entryway except through my bedroom. So here I am hauling potting soil, plants, tools, water pitcher, and pots through my house. Then creating the mess and then cleaning up the mess and carting the trash back through the house. After all the work, I was more proud that I didn’t trash my house in the efforts. But honestly, not as challenging as I had thought.
Did my usual, rosemary, sage, chives, and oregano in the window box, I have finally given up on Dill; it smells wonderful but it’s so annoying it only lasts a month or so. After 5 years of doing this I have also learned that my favorite herb, Basil, is quite territorial, and will kill anything near it, so he stays alone in his own little pot, which works out well for keeping him indoors later anyway…. Then the ‘maters, always a Roma because they grow so well, and am going to try a Jet star. I had to get creative with the cucumbers since they require a trellis, I couldn’t find one that was small enough for a pot, but we’ll see. I will have to update later with a picture of the produce and let you all decide if the efforts look worth it.



The poor zucchini plant was very stressed out by the event, he is mound-less, but I think he will pull through

No comments:

Post a Comment