Sunday, June 5, 2011

Haiti bound

So it’s that time again folks.  In less than 2 weeks I am going to be heading to Haiti again.  It’s crazy to think that this is going to be my fifth time there!  I keep thinking I should visit a different country, and pursue some of the other calls on my heart, but every time I go, and every spring I start itching to go back and serve in this precious country that I love so much.  There is something about the country and the children there that, has just captured my heart, and I get to work and serve in a way that I could only dream of doing in the US.  I am going back to the same ministry that I have been going to the last 3 times, in Montrious.  A sweet little coastal town settled on the ocean about an hour North of Port au Prince.  I’ll be going for 2 weeks and working in a medical clinic and also doing malnutrition outreach for the children in the local village.  I work very closely with a nurse who is a full time missionary named Elsie and work based out of Canaan Christian Community.  A ministry in Montrious, Haiti, that is a huge resource to the community there offering medical services, a children’s home (orphanage), a Christian school, vocational training, and a church on campus.  Canaan has become very dear to my heart, because it is such an anointed and blessed place in the midst of such a hardened and desolate country.  God’s hand is clearly at work and visible around their chosen land, and I see miracles every time I go.   Amazing to think, knowing Haiti is the most impoverished country in the Western Hemisphere and still recovering from the earthquake and flood from the last 2 years.  This place is full of least and lost little ones and I love being able to go and extend Christ’s love to these people.
The most exciting parts of this trip for me are: interacting and loving on the the children that live at the orphanage there at Canaan, working in the medical clinic and offering the healing power of Jesus  and then working with the malnutrition program called medika mamba.  Medika Mamba means peanut butter medicine, and is the reason I got drawn to Haiti.  The mamba is a fortified peanut butter product and is a nutrition program that when given with antibiotics, proper education, and  given daily in specific amounts can bring a severely malnourished child to full health in 8 -12 weeks. That 12 week treatment and medications has almost a 98% recovery rate, giving an amazing glimmer of hope for each family that it impacts as they see their little ones become healthy again.
Haiti - Canaan Orphanage Malnutrition Initative from andrew hudson on Vimeo.

I will be gone  June 17-July 2 and I am asking for your prayers while I am there, for protection, wisdom and divine appointments with the people I encounter in the clinic and in the local villages.  I will try to do some blogging while I am there, at joyfulsteph@blogspot.com. I will try to keep you posted about urgent prayer needs there. Internet access is pretty is to find, it’s more often finding time.  Also, I encourage you to watch the video about the Medika Mamba if you would like to know more, but know it is only part of what God is up to in this little place and an even smaller part of the great things God is doing in Haiti. Also, I have posted the link for Canaan Christian Community below.  I also posted the link for their paypal account if people would like to donate to the mamba program.   


Thank you so much,
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment