Sunday, June 26, 2011

Haiti Day 10


Hello faithful saints, It’s been 10 days, and it’s crazy to think my time here is drawing close.  Only  5 more clinic days!  Each day is overwhelming, but I can’t get over how I love each one.  Friday was very overwhelming.  Another sick 2 year old with persistent diarrhea and fever for 2 weeks that isn’t responding to what I did on Tuesday.  An 11 year old in renal failure and now developing Congestive Heart Failure and then a 12 month with severe malnutrition and dehydration, that I had to IV hydrate and then enroll in the medika mamba program.  But I feel the Lord giving me the wisdom for each situation.
But, I have to tell you that your prayers avail!!!  But keep praying.  So things are moving along with little James Joseph.  I have found surgeons in St. Louis that will do it they are looking for the funding.   It sounds like he will need 2 surgeries and about 2 weeks of hospitalization.  So exciting!!!  So next step is immigrations, contacting embassies and also finding a host family in the US, so  if anyone has room for a mother and a 7 month old for about 2 -6 weeks,  please let me know.  They  will be creole speaking but we may be able to send a translator too.  We’ll have to see.  It looks like this might happen at the end of July. 
Otherwise, the team left yesterday, and missing their energy and encouragement so much. We had a great day at indigo together and a fun night by campfire dancing around with the kids.  But now, I feel like all our work has come to a screeching halt.  We had a huge storm last night, and I couldn’t help but think that the Lord might have held it off so that they could get all the things done that they did.  Lunch was just so quiet today, and the kids just so laid back now.  Went down to the clinic today to get some supplies and was just amazed at all they did in a matter of a week.  They definitely didn’t work at “Haiti pace.”
So some sad news to close.  I often am critical of all the nasty dogs that run around Canaan,  ( that are here as guard dogs)  we particularly have a pack of Doberman/ Shepard mixes.  Well at some point one of them cut their leg so bad it was in the bone, and I noticed she was laying around yesterday and saw her leg was badly infected.  I let Pastor Henry know that I was deeply concerned about the dog because I could see the infection was bad enough that they needed to take the leg off or she would die soon.  Well Pastor Henry  didn’t have the heart to put her down without trying to help her first, so recruited Katie ( 2nd year med student) and I to be his temporary vets tonight.  I honestly believe this was one of the most miserable and challenging things I have ever done.  I mean granted I did learn a lot when I was scrub nurse, and knew exactly how and what to do, but dog anatomy is a little different and we didn’t have any anesthesia. We used a ton of local medicine that I could inject, loaded her with antibiotics and prayed a lot.  She was so sick she really didn’t move much, until we go to the bone. Then she took of running leg half attached.  I cried my eyes out for about 10 minutes, sucked it up, went and found her, prayed again, and finished the job.  The Canaan boys just ate it up.  But I bandaged her up and hoping she might make it through the night.  I promise I’ll post pictures if she does.
Okay, on that note, really honestly, please pray that things keep moving along with little James Joseph.  That he stays healthy and all the funding pieces and visa pieces line up.  And that my child with renal failure continues to improve and we can get him mended over the next days while I am here
Hope and love,
Stephanie 

No comments:

Post a Comment