Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Day 3

This trip is going too fast. I feel I am just getting settled in to Haiti mode. So
many sick babies are coming in. There were 2 children today that we started IV's on for IV fluids! I haven't started an IV in Haiti ever. It's a little intimidating getting out one of the three or four 24 guage needles knowing that if I miss, I'm not just hurting the child, but stealing IV access from the next sick baby. But there is grace. Next time I am taking 24 guages with me somehow!
Anyway, one of them is so sick 2 mo old with 103 fever, and she is so lethargic and paler than me, turns out she has malaria! We kept her and her mom here and Canaan so we can watch. I have been checking her every couple hours, she is one of the sickest babies I have ever seen here. If she doesn't look better we will probably take her to Port au Prince. Oh Lord help. I'm not sure what can change between today and tomorrow besides her getting more anemic and more weak. And that's scary, Lord give me faith. Have been praying a ton, for patience, for these little kids. I always keep the people in mind as I consider their illnesses, how much different it is for them to stay in a strange place with no help, no phone, no money. I want to help this child but I can't on my own, and not with my American agenda either.



Some of the other heart wrenching situations included a 4 year old that besides her major malnutrition and anemia has a massive murmur that sounds like a VSD (good ol' PNP education there folks!), and this terrible drowning cough and fluid retention indicating she might have some kind of congestive heart failure. She was so weak she couldn't stand on her own. Oh Lord, why here. I would be alarmed caring for this kind of patient in the states. Hopefully we can take her to Port au Prince too.

The third was the most heart breaking of all, a 12 year old that came in for bad cough, but she was so small we couldn't help but think there was more going on, so we tested her and she was positive for HIV. Wow. Seriously what a day. And I thought the 6 mo old with diarrhea and fever was challenging. But we made it through! Just really need to keep focused on the Lord and remember the love He has for "even the least of these" and what an opportunity I have in doing this.

I have really enjoyed getting to spend time with Elsie, what an amazing spirit. Gosh I have missed her. And such a natural and beautiful mother to Caleb, it's so cute. Oh and we got fresh mangoes today! So amazing! We were a mess trying to eat them off the seed.

Have been very frustrated with my Internet situation. Writing blogs on an ipod touch is not ideal. Brought a computer but it doesn't work without power and it doesn't pick up the internet signal. Hah! The one thing I am looking forward to about the states is getting my computer back.

No comments:

Post a Comment