Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Haiti Day 1

So I am absolutely amazed. I arrived in Haiti in the middle of the world cup. I know that they love soccer but Hatti hasn't been to the world cup since the 1970's. Instead these people love Brazil!!! It was amazing driving down the destructed streets of. Port with broken buildings and roads everywhere only to see people gathered around televisions and radios cheering and jumping up and down. Nice to see joy, especially with this being my first time back since the earthquake. The tent cities are sobering. Such a strong reminder of the travailing and the affliction of this people still. Mont-Rious (the town where Canaan orphanage is) and the road to it is still beautiful and fun. And Canaan itself is such a breath of fresh air with people buzzing around from other teams ready and eager to serve, so motivated by their love for the Lord and their burden for these people. Some of the kids here even remember me which is fun. But besides a belly full of plantains and breadfruit the best thing so far has been getting to see my friend Elsie. She's the full time missionary nurse who runs the clinic here. Looking forward to a full
day in clinic with her tomorrow!!! I am so challenged and encouraged by her life here and how she has just put it out there for the Lord to use for two years now. I am so challenged to be willing to do the same. I read a prayer by A.W. Tozer today, it was so encouraging and challenging, I honestly need to commit it to memory, and repeat it as a confession everyday-whether in Haiti or not.

Father I want to know Thee , but my cowardly heart fears to give up its toys. I cannot part with them without onward bleeding, and I do not try to hide from Thee the terror of the parting. I come trembling, but I do come. Please root from my heart , all those things which I have cherished so long and and which have become a very part of my living self, so that Thou may enter and dwell there without rival. Then shall you make the place of your feet glorious. Then shall my heart have no need of the sun to shine in it for Thyself will be the light of it and there shall be no night there. In Jesus name, amen.

It was so comforting to read such a ragamuffin confession of a prayer by someone who I admire so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment